Release Notes for F8 - first POT drop

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:08:22 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 16:17 +0100, Miloš Komarčević wrote:
> On 9/16/07, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sorry to reply to myself, but I wanted to let everyone know that the
> > homepage module has some additional content.  You will notice that there
> > are quite a number of strings marked "untranslated" which are actually
> > just meant to be copied.  One of them contains CSS code (I tried to
> > protect it from XML2PO, but it breaks the building of the document).
> > Many others contain native names of languages, like "suomi" for Finnish,
> > and do not need to be translated.  There are several short strings that
> > do need translation but this should be *very* short work.
> >
> > Thanks again and please do not hesitate to get in touch with us at FDP
> > if you have problems or questions.
>
> Paul, thanks for the heads up.
>
> I have noticed some weirdness in the comments for homepage.pot (e.g.
> some markup regarding Norwegian appears in one of the comments) - were
> these perhaps supposed be included as well but XML2PO fudged them up?

Ah, I see what you mean:

- - - - - - - - - >8
#. <ulink
#.      url="index-nb.html">norsk bokmål</ulink> |
#: en_US/homepage.xml:28(ulink)
msgid "Nederlands"
msgstr ""
- - - - - - - - - >8

That's actually there because the link in question appears in a comment
in homepage.xml:

- - - - - - - - - >8
        url="index-ja.html">日本語</ulink> | <!-- <ulink
        url="index-nb.html">norsk bokmål</ulink> | --> <ulink
        url="index-nl.html">Nederlands</ulink> | <ulink
- - - - - - - - - >8

'xml2po' automatically cuts comments preceding a text node and plops
them down in the POT above the text node's translatable string.  That
way, the author can do something like this:

  <!-- FOR GOODNESS' SAKE, DO NOT TRANSLATE THIS! -->
  <para>Blah, blah, blah</para>

And the POT will include:

  #. FOR GOODNESS' SAKE, DO NOT TRANSLATE THIS!
  #: myfile.xml:10(para)
  msgid "Blah, blah, blah"
  msgstr ""

The particular <ulink> that was commented out was because the "nb"
locale translator didn't finish the translation for the home page and
therefore we commented out that ulink.

Hope this helps!