im-chooser and system-config-httpd

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Mon Sep 24 01:13:36 UTC 2007

Στις 23-09-2007, ημέρα Κυρ, και ώρα 20:18 -0400, ο/η Jeremy Katz έγραψε:
> On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 07:33 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> > Στις 21-09-2007, ημέρα Παρ, και ώρα 13:07 +0200, ο/η Adam Pribyl έγραψε:
> > > The last question which is still not clear to me - how's that with those
> > > minus sings and exclamation marks in
> > > http://translate.fedoraproject.org/languages/cs/fedora-8
> > > What should I do with them? Or should they be ignored?
> >
> > Those are problems and warnings of the international support of the
> > module, and the developer should know about them. So usually someone
> > needs to open a bug report to the package and let the maintainer know
> > about them to fix them.
> >
> > Most of them are created because the modules don't use intltool for
> > extraction of the strings.
>
> FWIW, the fact that transifex's status is dependent on the usage of
> intltool is, IMHO, a bug.

Transifex can handle both of them equally OK; the problem is with Damned
Lies (the statistics app, which we are not upstream).

DL supports intltool-based string extraction better than other methods,
simply because upstream (GNOME) doesn't have many (any?) modules which
don't use intltool.

I've discussed this with the maintainer in the past, and the best
solution would be to modularize the part of the code in Damned Lies
which does the extraction, in order to be able to choose the method from
the XML file, per module, just like we choose the VCS type.

> It basically forces people to use the GNOME
> stack as well as autotools for their project when there's really not a
> good reason to do so.  There are definitely better build systems out
> there...

+1 to have the choice.

The easiest solution right now would be to go ahead and add the choice
in the XML file, so that the viewing template will know and hide the
relevant warnings for non-intltool modules.

There would be other issues to solve then (which languages are active?
Are all strings there? etc), which I don't know how standardized our
i18n is (same variable in all Makefiles?) in order to automate the
process and *do* present some warnings (eg. for languages not shipped).

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/