Re: mo.file does not appear in system-config-firewall/ja.po

Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
Hi James,

On Sunday 06 April 2008 08:40:55 am Kiyoto James Hashida wrote:
I am trying to proofread by producing the mo file
for system-config-firewall/ja.po because I had to
fix some tags translated by another member.

I followed the instruction in the Quick Guide chap 3.5
but I can't get the mo file in the
|/usr/share/locale//|lang|//LC_MESSAGES/.
--------------------------------------------------- [khashida khashida
system-config-firewall]$ msgfmt ja.po
[khashida khashida system-config-firewall]$ ls
ja.po messages.mo

Step 1: Create a MO from your PO file:

(in your po directory:)

$msgfmt -o system-config-firewall.mo ja.po

(the '-o' option will ensure that your file is named system-config-firewall.mo rather than messages.mo)

[khashida khashida system-config-firewall]$ cp
/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/system-config-firewall.mo
system-config-firewall.mo-backup
cp: cannot stat
`/usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/system-config-firewall.mo': そのような
ファイルやディレクトリはありません (this means there is no such file or
directory)

Step 2: Make a backup of the existing translations

Now, you might want to keep a backup of the original translations located in this directory. But in your case, it seems there was no original file, that is why you got the 'cp: cannot stat' error message. So in your case you might want to skip this next command.

$ cp /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/system-config-firewall.mo system-config-firewall.mo.bak
(this will only work if the original file existed)

Step 3: Copy the file to the LC_MESSAGES directory

$ su
(you need to be root to copy files to the LC_MESSAGES directory)

$ cp system-config-firewall.mo /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/system-config-firewall.mo
$ exit

Step 4: Running the application

$ LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 system-config-firewall

|What am I doing wrong ? Could someone correct my mistake ?

I hope these steps may help you getting started.
Asgeir, thanks being eagle eye!
I filed the bug#441172 to improve TQSG.

noriko

cheers,