Transifex - Authentication/Permission Layer (SoC 2008)

Vasand vasandgvd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 16:12:47 UTC 2008

Hi! My name is Vasilis Kalintiris and I live in Greece. I'd like to
contribute to the Fedora Project not only by translating
PO-files from English to Greek, but also by developing an
authentication/permission layer for Transifex.

This is a project mentioned as an idea for the Transifex Project in the
Summer of Code (SoC) 2008. In this e-mail I include the
abstract from my SoC application. It's a little bit general so if you
want more information or if you have any question please let
me know. Also, if you have ideas or proposals for the project don't
hesitate to contact  me 8-) !
*
ABSTRACT*
        Most open source softwares (OOSs) are developed in a public,
collaborative manner. In order to make this collaboration
both creative and applicable to the needs of the OOS, Revision Control
Systems (RCSs) are employed. Concurrent Version Systems (CVSs)
and Subversion (svn) are examples of tools that help centrally manage
the source code files and the changes to those files for a software project.

        In real life, there's the need to categorize the users or the
groups that have access to project's  resources. In Fedora Project for
example there are
many developers, administrators, languages leaders, translators,
anonymous users and so on. These people or teams contribute to the
development
of the project and need access to specific resources. Each user or team
is given specific privileges usually based on  the status of the project
and the role that they have.

        A new project named Transifex has been developed in the previous
summer during the Google Summer of Code program. It's a very promising
project
that provides the user a Web UI with which he can access a software's
project resources without caring about the underlying implementation of
project's RCS and it's interface. This way the user has to learn only
the Transifex and not the specific RCS that the project uses and can involve
 in many different projects as long as they use Transifex.

        My goal is to contribute to the Transifex project by adding a
permission and authorization layer.

        This enhancement will solve all these problems that I explained
before. The development of a software project will be secure, stable and
above
all productivity will be maximized. Maintainers won't care about users'
or teams' mistakes like overwriting files that aren't responsible for.
Moreover,  transition to different phases of software project
development will be easier and seamless.

Extra features like OpenID support and Vertimus interoperateability
(that's a long word!!!) are furthermore goals of the project.

PS: For more information about Transifex and ideas for the SoC 2008,
visit the following sites: Transifex
<https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/transifex/>, Transifex - Project Ideas
SoC'08 <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas#transifex>