[ft-devel] Re: Problem enabling new language on gdm language selection list

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Thu Aug 14 06:04:16 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 18:45 +0530, Rahul Bhalerao wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > What gdm does it is only shows a language in the list if a) we have
> > translations for it and b) we have fonts for it. For b), we basically
> > ask fontconfig "do you have fonts for this language ?". It seems that
> > fontconfig says "no" if it doesn't know the language. It would be better
> > if fontconfig could say "I don't know" in that case...
> >

> Apart from these three conditions, even if fontconfig knows the
> language, is it necessary that fcfreetype.c has MAC language code
> defined for that language, in order to list it in gdm?
>
> When I tried adding .orth file, the "fc-list fontname lang" listed the
> appropriate language, but still it did not appear in gdm list until,
> the definitions were made in fcfreetype.c and ttnameid.h.

I don't know offhand why that would be. Here is the code that gdm
uses to determine if a language has sufficient font support:

  pattern = FcPatternBuild (NULL, FC_LANG, FcTypeString, language_code,
NULL);

  if (pattern == NULL)
    goto done;

  object_set = FcObjectSetBuild (NULL, NULL);

  if (object_set == NULL)
    goto done;

  font_set = FcFontList (NULL, pattern, object_set);

  if (font_set == NULL)
    goto done;

  is_displayable = (font_set->nfont > 0);