What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Thomas Spura spurath at students.uni-mainz.de
Tue Dec 9 19:56:28 UTC 2008

Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 20:22 +0100 schrieb Lauri Nurmi:
> ti, 2008-12-09 kello 17:59 +0100, Thomas Spura kirjoitti:
> > Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 01:25 +0100 schrieb Robert Scheck:
> > > Our German translation is only quantitative, not qualitative. And the worse
> > > thing is, the team leader of the German translation team finds the current
> > > position and its current status okay. That's wrong and never should happen.
> > > If a German person is not able to understand the context of a translated
> > > sentence, the phrase should not be commited.
>
> > I think one big improvement, the translation team could do is setting up
> > a pootle server do to the translations,
>
> > It has several features, that are quite usefull like:
> >
> >  *suggestion mode: If a translator is unsure about the correct context
> > of the translated sentence, he can make a suggestion and anyone else can
> > prove the correctness. This would prevent to commiting 'horrible
> > German'.
>
> A human being is still required for going through the suggestions and
> selecting which one of them is acceptable, if any.  In case anything is
> acceptable, horrible German is not prevented in any way.

You will always require a human being, it's only feature for consistency
reasons.

> >  *web-based translation editor: This is helpfull, so anyone can do
> > translations from everywhere without having to be on one's own system
> > and nothing has to be installed locally.
>
> But I thought the goal was to improve the quality of translations.  Do
> you think "anyone from everywhere" produces better translations than the
> current team?
>
> If translating is made too easy, it encourages people with too little
> motivation and skill to participate.  Allowing random people to
> translate a few strings in a dozen random packages will not produce high
> quality translations.  It will be quantity over quality.

No! The team stays always the same!! You don't need do download the .po
anymore and can contribute from any pc around you. Nothing else was
meant by that… There you need to authenicate as a translator as usual.

I never wanted to replace or something else with the team, only a better
support to translate. Or is aren't you interested in an easier
translation? ;-)