native-language v. English-language names in WebUIs

Miloš Komarčević kmilos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 17:42:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:15 PM, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> Pardon my reply to self ...
>
> Right after I sent this, Paul suggested 'native names for languages'
> as a Google search term, and that seems to give me what I need.
>
> Sorry for the noise. :)

I would use such lists with some reservation though, as they are
usually composed by other enthusiasts and not necessarily language
experts.

For example, the list in the first Google hit
http://rishida.net/names/languages.html puts down native names for
Serbian starting with capitals - this is wrong since langauge in most
Slavic languages is just an adjective and written in lowercase as such
(similar mistake for Macedonian, Croatian, Slovenian, etc.)

I have asked recently about where gdm tucked away it's list [1], and
have since peeked in the source code: it looks like the list is no
more, they try to work it out real-time from available glibc locales,
/usr/share/locale contents, and /usr/share/xml/iso-codes (with varying
degrees of success..).

Anaconda's list, iso-codes xml files, or Wikipedia could be better sources.

Miloš

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-December/msg00019.html