What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Lauri Nurmi lanurmi at iki.fi
Wed Dec 10 16:02:56 UTC 2008

ti, 2008-12-09 kello 20:56 +0100, Thomas Spura kirjoitti:
> Am Dienstag, den 09.12.2008, 20:22 +0100 schrieb Lauri Nurmi:
> > ti, 2008-12-09 kello 17:59 +0100, Thomas Spura kirjoitti:
> > >  *web-based translation editor: This is helpfull, so anyone can do
> > > translations from everywhere without having to be on one's own system
> > > and nothing has to be installed locally.
> >
> > But I thought the goal was to improve the quality of translations.  Do
> > you think "anyone from everywhere" produces better translations than the
> > current team?
> >
> No! The team stays always the same!! You don't need do download the .po
> anymore and can contribute from any pc around you.

But is that a good thing?  There's a chance that a Fedora translator is
running Fedora on their own computer, which gives them the ability to
run the applications they are translating, and see the strings in
context.  On the "any pc around you" this is most likely not possible.

> I never wanted to replace or something else with the team, only a better
> support to translate. Or is aren't you interested in an easier
> translation? ;-)

Well, no.  It is easy enough already.  I could want better tools, but a
web-based UI is not my idea of better tools.  In fact, I doubt a
web-based translation tool can ever be as quick to use as one's favorite
text editor.

-LN