What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Dec 15 19:32:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 04:57:44PM +0100, Robert Scheck wrote:

> But for translators it would get more easy to translate things, which also
> lowers the barrier of getting new translators. Currently, a translator IMHO
> needs also much technical knowledge, not just knowing 2+ languages.

Yes, it certainly can be easier than the current processes.

However, it is only a small amount of technical skills that a
translator needs.  The skills generally apply to most other open
source projects that people translate for.

As a general guide, we have had technical skill level as a barrier in
Fedora, depending on where one is contributing.

For example, changing content on the wiki is very easy, while changing
content in the fedora-release-notes package is much harder.

This is probably a good idea -- you do not want to give everyone the
ability to translate *and* commit changes to essential software
packages without some layers of review.

I'm writing this so we are clear that there is not a huge and
difficult technical barrier to translators in Fedora.  We don't want
to be scaring people away! ;-)

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41