sponsors for cvsl10n

Runa Bhattacharjee runab at redhat.com
Mon Dec 22 07:44:29 UTC 2008

Karsten Wade wrote:
> Some questions about the Localization group 'cvsl10n' in the Fedora
> Account System (FAS):
>
> 1. Do we have enough sponsors for the cvsl10n group?
>
> 2. Can we get at least one sponsor from each language team?

Most other mails on the same thread suggest, "one sponsor from each team (e.g. coordinator)".
Although this sounds like an easier method, imho it is not scalable given the current size of the
FLP. With >~80 sponsors for the cvsl10n group, it would become a necessity, putting in place
guidelines for sponsorship and ensuring that they are adhered to. Especially, since the following
needs to be tracked:

1. Coordinators/Sponsors for a team are active and respond
2. Coordinators/Sponsors for a team do not sponsor members from other teams without authorization

Additionally, in case of disputes or dormant teams, some guidelines have to be in place to over-ride
the language team coordinator's authority (if we are assuming that only a coordinator or authorized
member of a language team can sponsor new entrants to that team).

Secondly, it does not eradicate the current problem of:

1. Determining the identity/affiliations of the new entrant (unless the entrant chooses to disclose).

Reason being: The "Self:Introduction" mail is listed in the TQSG, but is not a hindrance to reach
the queue. Unless the new entrant is "forcibly" made to mention the language team she/he would like
to join, they can be waiting in the queue for eternity (or sponsored by someone clearing the queue).

Reiterating from an earlier suggestion about this[1], imho  the introduction of an automatic
additional step - "approval from the language coordinator" somewhere on the sponsorship page would
help map the new entrant to a language and ensure that the coordinator can approve/disapprove of
her/his membership either directly or indirectly.

> 3. We changed the name 'cvsdocs' to 'docs', since it no longer was
>    about CVS access.  The same is true for 'cvsl10n'.  Do we want to
>    change that to 'l10n'?

'l10n' works, however we need to make sure that all references are very carefully replaced. :-)

hth

Thanks
Runa

[1] https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-trans-list/2008-November/msg00031.html
--
blog: http://runab.livejournal.com

irc:
mishti or runa_b on Freenode, Gimpnet, Mozilla, LinuxChix