Steering Committee formation

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Fri Feb 29 20:36:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 6:37 AM, Noriko Mizumoto <noriko at redhat.com> wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>  > Most if not all of the subprojects in Fedora follow the guidelines
>  > established by the Board for defining projects, found here:
>  >
>  > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefiningProjects
>
>  I see that we are shaping fairly good project, aren't we?

We certainly are! And it feels darn good!

>  > I'm not a big fan of organization just for organization's sake, if it
>  > stops people from being able to get things done.
>  >
>  > But steering committees in subprojects are *good* for a number of
>  > reasons, including identifying tasks, getting assignments made, and
>  > tracking progress.  A steering committee serves as a central
>  > communication point between all the members of a subproject, other
>  > subprojects, and the Fedora Project Board.  It also provides a unified
>  > voice and opportunities for solid decision making, empowering community
>  > leaders the contributors themselves identify and elect.

And if a future FLSCo is half as successful as the Docs Steering
Committe, in achieving the above, I'll be very happy.

>  > I encourage the L10N (Translation) Project to start talking about an
>  > L10N Steering Committee.  I also encourage interested community members
>  > to step up and serve as committee members to better organize and
>  > communicate about all the great work that's being done in L10N.
>
>  Certainly we must be in the stage that should have an committee.
>  So we may need some election/selection scheme.
>  I am learning the way of sister docs team.
>  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee

+1. We've got a good example to follow.

I agree with Bart that it's a good time to get a SCo going and that
having a team of people responsible for the whole project could help
increase the communication and Getting Things Done.

What does it mean for a person to have a seat in SCo? It mens you're
in a position to better drive the FLP to achieve its goals and craft a
long-term strategy. To advocate the Project's needs and positions to
other projects and the Board. To be accountable for aligning the
project's actions to the overall Fedora Project spirit. And to have
one more leadership position in your CV.

If there are no objections, let's get the ball rolling then.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/