Request of clarification about software translation

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat Jan 5 10:44:41 UTC 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 3:37 AM, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 10:52 +0100, Francesco Tombolini wrote:
> > While translating some software I saw that the chkconfig page
> > (http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/chkconfig) shows that it.po
> > is translated at 98% (87/1/0), so I decided to fix this.
> >
> > The "submit module" of transifex is not actually configured to accept
> > contributions. So I think to work via cvs server, but the file contained
> > in the cvs server (cvs.fedoraproject.org) is different from the file
> > that I get from the web interface of the module.
> >
> > This happens with other files too, like comps (web) that is different
> > from comps from cvs.fedoraproject.org or from comps-po from
> > i18n.fedoraproject.org.
> >
> > How can I be sure of what to translate?
>
> When you regenerate the pot and po-s with "make", I believe they are
> basically the same.

Maybe it's because the web interface auto-generates the POT files for
those modules that support intltool, practially ignoring the current
POT file?

In any case, the web interface should always give a correct PO/POT
file for translation, which should be the same as if you taken the
source and run an `intltool-update <lang>` (or, for the modules that
don't support intltool, `msgmerge <lang> <POT>`).

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/