Defining Minimum Criteria for I18N Support

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 07:40:33 UTC 2008

Rahul Bhalerao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I think the term 'Language Support' has been used in more vague sense
> so far (please correct me if I am wrong).  Also there has been a
> difference between a language being supported technically and a
> language that is supported with all the localization. Thus there has
> been a need to define the terms with more clarity. I think it would be
> good if we have two different sections for a language support namely,
> i18n and l10n.
>
> Recently I have tried to formulate a minimum criteria for a language
> to have "I18N Support". The same is documented here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/I18N/LanguageSupportCriteria
>
> On the same lines we may even have similar criteria for l10n support.
> I would like all to do a little review of the above and provide some
> feedback so that we could finalize this.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for taking an initiative to define the criteria for language
support. However, I am not sure whether the term (Language Support) used
over here is correct or not. Because any package or feature of the
application included in Fedora have any specific criteria for *support*.
The criteria defined on the above URL could be called as a *Language
Inclusion Criteria* in terms of I18n and L10n both instead of *Language
Support Criteria*. Anyways, FLP team would be happy to define the
Language Inclusion Criteria in terms of L10n I think.

I could be wrong here, please correct me if I am. Because as far as I
know, for Fedora, "Support" means voluntary help from community
contributors through mailing lists, forums or IRC. That's it, I think!
No specific criteria for it.

So, let's hear the inputs from other members on this thread!

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel