TQSG updated

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Sat May 17 11:01:17 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Gauthier Ancelin
<gauthier.ancelin at laposte.net> wrote:

> In my opinion, having a non translated TQSG is not a big problem. Lower the
> bar is a good thing, but if someone wants to translate for Fedora, it seems
> to me he/she must understand english as good as possible.

There are some occasions where teams use an intermediate language for
translations. This happens in some occasions in Europe and India,
where some folks translate to the target language from the
French/Hindi of a resource.

> Understanding the QTSG is a good test.
>
> I think the biggest problem for newcomers comes from the technical operation
> needed to set up and use a translation environment. Transiflex has helped a
> lot already, since translators no more need to know how to use CVS. But
> getting an SSH key for example is not very easy for a new user who's not
> familiar with command line, file permission...

Unfortunately for us, translators are required to sign the CLA (ie.
have and use a GPG key) to contribute translations, since their
contributions end up in the shipped ISO, etc. With
Transifex in place though, I'm not sure they are should be required to
have an SSH though.

> To sum up, I'm ok to translate it, but there are other priorities (at least
> for the french team), like having a 100% translated Fedora distro.

The document might become more useful if it wasn't a "quick" guide,
but it explained better how the project works, how teams collaborate,
some explanations on Transifex (mini-manual) etc.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/