Re: Lost in translation (Ubuntu and Launchpad translations)

Valent Turkovic wrote:
Hi,
I have came a cross an issue that I didn't see discussed in this
mailing list, but if there was such a discussion before please point
me to it.

First I have noticed that in previous and latest Ubuntu release that
Gnome translation is much better that I see in Fedora 8 and 9. I
wondered why and contacted croatian gnome translation team. The reason
is that they use Ubuntu Launchpad to do the translations and so all
translation are not automatically pushed to upstream gnome.

I feel that this is broken by design. There are options to export
translations from Lauchpad and we are working on getting them to
upstream Gnome right now. I can only guess but I suspect that our
translation team is not the only one caught in this "lost in
translation" Lauchpad trap. There are probably lots of translation
teams around the world using launchpad to do their translations.

So my questions is - has there been any talk with Ubuntu developers
and translators regarding this? Do you think this is an issue? Why?

How is translation in Fedora handling translation and upstream?

Thank you for your time,
Valent, croatian Fedora Ambassador.

Hi Valent,

First of all, we don't provide the facility to submit upstream Gnome translations through our latest translation system, called Transifex. So, we don't have any conflict with upstream Gnome translation team as of now.

Regarding Ubuntu Lauchpad, it doesn't submit the translations to upstream Gnome as of now I think. As per the plans you put in your e-mail, if Ubuntu Lanuchpad system is going to export translations from Launchpad and submit them into Gnome upstream, then there will be definitely huge conflict I can see, because I contribute to Gnome translations and I really don't know who contributes through Launchpad. I guess, you you might want to discuss it with Gnome upstream translators too...

Ankit Patel
http://www.indianoss.org/