Lost in translation (Ubuntu and Launchpad translations)

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan at randomink.org
Wed May 21 09:22:01 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> First I have noticed that in previous and latest Ubuntu release that
> Gnome translation is much better that I see in Fedora 8 and 9. I
> wondered why and contacted croatian gnome translation team. The reason
> is that they use Ubuntu Launchpad to do the translations and so all
> translation are not automatically pushed to upstream gnome.

This particular issue has been a regular point of discussion on
gnome-i18n mailing list and each time there hasn't been a definite
solution proposed other than the expression of intent to ensure that
translations are upstreamed.

One of the benefits of working completely upstream is that nastiness
of this kind is reduced :)

~sankarshan