Lost in translation (Ubuntu and Launchpad translations)

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman at myrealbox.com
Wed May 21 16:29:36 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> Hi,
> I have came a cross an issue that I didn't see discussed in this
> mailing list, but if there was such a discussion before please point
> me to it.
>
> First I have noticed that in previous and latest Ubuntu release that
> Gnome translation is much better that I see in Fedora 8 and 9. I
> wondered why and contacted croatian gnome translation team. The reason
> is that they use Ubuntu Launchpad to do the translations and so all
> translation are not automatically pushed to upstream gnome.
>
> I feel that this is broken by design. There are options to export
> translations from Lauchpad and we are working on getting them to
> upstream Gnome right now. I can only guess but I suspect that our
> translation team is not the only one caught in this "lost in
> translation" Lauchpad trap. There are probably lots of translation
> teams around the world using launchpad to do their translations.
>
> So my questions is - has there been any talk with Ubuntu developers
> and translators regarding this? Do you think this is an issue? Why?
>
> How is translation in Fedora handling translation and upstream?
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Valent, croatian Fedora Ambassador.

I always work with upstream. I will try as hard as possible to commit it
upstream, and from my experience, upstream always happy to accept
translation of their program. Committing upstream will always cause the
same package to be translated on *all* distribution, not just Ubuntu or
Fedora.

Most of translator in Launchpad is clueless about upstream, and they
usually think that Ubuntu is the upstream, or Ubuntu will take care the
upstream commit step. Which is unfortunately is not taken care by Ubuntu
package maintainer.

--
Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan