F10 Release Notes PO files

Domingo Becker domingobecker at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:44:23 UTC 2008

2008/11/5 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 11:08:55AM +1000, Noriko Mizumoto wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> It seems that POT and PO files have now been updated.
>> This was supposed to happen on 6-Nov, and many of us have not committed
>> our files yet. We now have to stop working.
>> http://git.fedoraproject.org/git/?p=docs/release-notes.git;a=summary
>>
>> One funny thing to me, the total number of strings decreased to 1024
>> strings...
>>
>> Could someone please let us know what is happening?
>
> Noriko,
>
> I believe I'm the person who updated the POT, but I thought I was
> giving translators early content to make sure they were able to work
> as long as possible on the correct content.
>
> Are you saying that updating the POT files destroys your previous
> work?  I thought that the update would simply mark new strings that
> have changed a little bit as fuzzy.  Does this really require that
> work stop?  Don't translators have a way of getting the updates
> without destroying their existing work?

It seems it does not destroy translations.
I started translations with an es.po file a week ago, I commited
translations some hours ago, against the new es.po file with the new
strings and it seems it does not destroy my work.
t.fp.o [1] shows for Spanish 341/476/207 (1024 strings) while my
poEdit shows 353/477/200 (1030 strings). Of course, I have to download
the new .po file to continue working.

[1] http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/docs-release-notes

kind regards

Domingo Becker (es)