New language codes?

Christian Rose menthos at menthos.com
Thu Oct 2 20:33:19 UTC 2008

On 10/1/08, Domingo Becker <domingobecker at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Manuel Ospina <mospina at redhat.com>:
>  > I would prefer to have a unified code for Spanish (es), without the country
>  > code. Contributors are from different places and using the country code may
>  > annoy some of them.
>  >

> +1

+2

Swedish is spoken both in Sweden, and by a large minority in Finland.
While sv-SE and sv-FI have some subtle and minor differences, none of
them apply to computer terminology, AFAIK. And sv-FI users are often
better helped by Swedish as in Sweden content than nothing at all, so
keeping all the content and effort under the same "sv" umbrella only
makes sense.

I also know for a fact, based on past input from German translators,
that almost the same situation apply to de-DE, de-AT, and de-CH. The
spoken language varies a lot, but written formal German is exactly the
same everywhere. de-AT and de-CH users are best helped by single
German content, rather than nothing at all, so keeping it all under
the "de" umbrella is only logical.

Please avoid unnecessary fragmentation.

Christian