Decision needed (was Re: Requesting a string freeze break of comps)
christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 21 20:47:59 UTC 2008
Am Donnerstag, den 16.10.2008, 04:33 +0200 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
> Am Donnerstag, den 16.10.2008, 02:27 +0300 schrieb Dimitris Glezos:
> > 2008/10/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > >
> > > I'd like to ask for a string freeze break of the comps file for F10,
> > > because I want to add a new group for LXDE  called lxde-desktop. See
> > > diff below for the proposed changes.
> > >
> > > Rationale:
> > > People should be able to install LXDE with a single click/command.
> > >
> > > Impact:
> > > Minor, only two stings all together: The first one can not be
> > > translated, LXDE will always be LXDE. The second string is the
> > > description, which is not even visible in package kit these days. So
> > > localization of this string is not really necessary but only nice to
> > > have for 'yum groupinfo'.
> > >
> > > Impact of not accepting the break:
> > > If we don't add this group to comps the LDXE feature is definitely
> > > washed-up for F10.
> > Looking at the comps translation statistics, more than 25 languages
> > will drop to 99%. This will probably make equal number of people
> > download the POs again, translate, and commit back.
> > Here's an idea. LXDE's description is quite similar to the XFCE one:
> > + <_name>LXDE</_name>
> > + <_description>Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.</_description>
> > <_name>XFCE</_name>
> > <_description>A lightweight desktop environment that works well on
> > low end machines.</_description>
> > How about using XFCE's description for this release to avoid breaking
> > the freeze?
> To be honest I don't really like this idea but it's better then not
> making the changes in at all. I guess that 99% of the users will not
> notice it anyway.
> > If you rebuild the PO files, the translation completeness
> > shouldn't change.
So far I have one positive and no negative vote. If I agreed to the
Dimitris suggestion, will I get another +1 then? I really _need_ a
decision _now_ because my feature is finished (for 10 days now) and I
still want it to get into F10 before final feature freeze (scheduled for
Please give me more feedback, ether positive or negative.
More information about the Fedora-trans-list