Do we participate in the schedule?

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 15:25:15 UTC 2008

Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel
> <ankit at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi FLSCo,
>>
>> I have been watching the Fedora 10 (Cambridge) schedule since it was put up
>> on the wiki page: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule
>>
>> It's third time the Translation deadline has changed. The new translation
>> deadline for those who are not aware is, 21st October (Plenty of time) now.
>> :-)
>>
>> So, the question I have here is, do we participate in deciding the
>> translation freeze date?

Hi Dimitris,

Thanks for your reply!
> RelEng is open for input on the schedule. That's how we added the
> Translation-specific dates on it, two releases ago. :-)
>
> To answer the Q, we don't actively participate, but we could
> participate. The best ways to do so would be by opening a ticket on
> their trac intstance, getting a discussion going on the next releng
> meeting about what we need from them, and participating in the
> on-topic discussion when prompted for:
>
>   https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/105

I found
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-10/f-10-all-tasks.html
which gives two dates for "PO Files due from Translation", one is 21st
October, 2008 (Testing phase - Beta release) and another is 6th
November, 2008 (Lauch phase - Release Candidate). However,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule gives only one date, that is
21st October for "Translation Freeze".

So, can we find some clarity on the schedule?

Should I put the same query on the above ticket? OR Any of the FLSCo
members can find it out?
> FWIW, during the F9 cycle I've asked for a window of one week between
> the string freeze date and the feature freeze (packaging). I guess
> this time 'round we didn't catch the ommition in time.
>
> Ankit, feel free to communicate our needs with the team. I'm sure
> they'll be open for tweaks for the next release.

Our need is to know the due date to submit our translations. The reason,
date looks important to me (and I think for all localizers) is because,
strings keep on changing even if there is a "String Freeze" date given
to the developers. Which basically increase our efforts most of the
times to complete the translations. So, if we know the last date to
submit the translations then we all can estimate our workload and
schedule the translations accordingly.
> -d
>
>> If yes, please do communicate to the group about the dates.

Thanks a lot!

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel