Planning a future L10N infrastructure (including Fedora)

Asgeir Frimannsson asgeirf at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 07:15:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:32 PM, "Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ)"
<sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reasonably detailed response.
>
> Asgeir Frimannsson wrote:
>
>> What we are about to develop is a new way of doing localisation
repositories
>> and workflow, more similar to what happens in many commercial tools than
what
>> we see in open source communities. I feel a bit 'uneasy' about pushing that
>> onto the Tx roadmap at this stage, and also uneasy about developing such a
>> 'workflow system' in Turbogears.
>
> Since this mail was on Tx-devel, for a moment I assumed it alluded to
> enhancing or, extending the functionality of Tx.
>
> Now that you mention that this is a separate effort, I guess the context
> is somewhat clear.
>
>> Feature-wise, it is much more interesting to compare with e.g. Idiom
>> WorldServer and Lionbridge Freeway, which are commercial solutions in the
L10N
>> space.
>
> Yes, but what you write is a summary. The query I had was - is the
> result of the evaluation of the current state-of-the-nation projected on
> a future-proposed-state-of-the-nation available for read. A detail
> evaluation/assessment report that is.

This is knowledge we have acquired internally by members of our team over a
long period of time, rather than a requirements-based systematic evaluation of
these projects. I for one have e.g. been monitoring e.g. how Translate Toolkit
as well as Gnome, KDE, Mozilla and OO.org L10N communities have evolved over
the last 3-4 years. Seeing the increasing 'gap' between state-of-the art in
this area and current practices, it was not a rocket-science decision (now
that we finally have the resources to do something about it). But I fully see
your point, a document or white-paper outlining this would be very useful, and
something I will investigate if we could provide as the plans go further.

cheers,
asgeir