translate.f.o UI

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Wed Sep 24 09:32:10 UTC 2008

I know from FUDCon presentation that Transifex is evolving and Dimitris is
looking for some inputs what we as translators need. At the moment I am
using translate.fedoraproject.org more as the F10 translation is in
progress and I still have problems with orientation. I understand the
translation handling is complicated and transifex already simplifies that
a lot, but as a translator, I feel I mostly need only few things out of
what is on translate.fedoraproject.org. As a most important I see
statistics, which I know are either developen in TX or at least exist as
RFE. Statistic gives me overview of what I need to translate. I can hardly
crawl thru all modules and repos to gather info what needs to be
translated. This is now provided by DL, which is the reason why statistic
overview is separated from submit section which is acctually TX.

My most common steps in t.f.o are
1. Click on Language
1.1 Click on Czech
1.2 Click on Fedora 10 or various and wait a long time for the page to
come
2. Download the .po file which needs to be translated.
3. Translate the file and
4. Click on Submit/Modules
5. Search thru two pages (which is not very comfortable) to find the
apropriate module
6. Click on module
7. Authenticate as translator
8. Select branch, .po and submit.

What I would prefere is, when I open t.f.o:
1. click on authenticate
2. this will bring up my language page with ALL the modules I can
translate (they may be separated in tables by release sets) in format
like:
module name | statistic | download .po | submit .po

Therefore my suggestion would be to add the submit button to page where I
also download the module. This would save me steps 1., 4-7. It may be,
this is again problem with DL...

Having one page would eliminate the need to search where to submit
(this would also decrease the load of t.f.o).
Statistic can be only percentage and/or numbers
Submit button would be either missing or grey for modules that do not
allow me to submit translation thru TX.

The rest of the pages like "teams" (which seems to me showing the same
information as "languages"), "release sets" I do not care much about.
Maybe it is important for somebody else.

Adam Pribyl