F10 Documentation

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 00:03:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 01:33:24AM +0300, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> 2008/9/30 Asgeir Frimannsson <asgeirf at gmail.com>:
> > If I remember correctly, publican actually has a 'genearate
> > translation statistics' make target that can even generate HTML.
>
> What would a translator need to do to get one of ours Docs and
> generate statistics himself? Could we have this documented somewhere
> (eg. the TQSG or FAQ)? Necessary git commands would also help a lot.

Start here and let me or Karsten know what's missing or erroneous:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_work_using_git

> > Would it be ok If I set up a cron job that:
> > 1) Puts translation statistics on a public web page (to make it
> > simple, e.g. my fedorapeople web space)
>
> A page updated daily with docs stats could do the trick until Publican
> support can be added inside DL and the Toolkit.
>
> Since it's just 7 modules I guess we could start simple and avoid
> Fedora-hosted crons and Infra (they already have a lot on their
> minds). Someone of us could cron on his workstation and rsync the
> HTMLs on his fedorapeople page.

I used to do this (more or less) using the wiki and the Fedora Docs
toolchain.  Enough would be different now (new wiki, different SCM,
etc.) that the script I used is entirely worthless.

> > 2) Sends updated statistics to fedora-trans-list daily, or even after
> > each 'submission' depending on how much we want to spam that list...
>
> Ideally no spamming at all. :-) The information will be in one place
> for anyone who'd like to see it.
>
> > In addition, we could add a link to this stats through the front page
> > of translate.fedoraproject.org
> >
> > Comments on this workflow is welcome, but I'll try to make sure we at
> > least have some statistics for our documentation SOON.
>
> Thanks for looking into this Asgeir.

+1.