Potentially ambiguous entries in docbook-locales

daniel cabrera h.daniel.cabrera at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:49:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Runa Bhattacharjee<runab at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> While translating docbook-locales, a few entries are bugging me a bit. I am
> writing in here in an attempt to understand how the other teams have tackled
> these strings. These are here:
>
> String:
> msgid "Set Index"
>
> Reference:
> #. Tag: para
> #: locale.xml:111
> #, no-c-format
>
> I have currently translated this (and the lowercase version of the same
> string) as "an index of sets" where "set" refers to "groups" (as per the
> translation note in string number 94). Is this context correct?
>
> -------------------------

Hi Runa, the Spanish team has translated this string in the same way
that you did.

> String:
> msgid "by"
>
> Reference:
> #. Tag: para
> #. LOCALIZATION NOTE: attribution of authorship: 'Romeo and Juliet' by
> William Shakespeare
> #: locale.xml:128
> #, no-c-format
>

> This is the tricky one. From the translators note it seems that the
> translated version of "by" would be used in a format like '<name-of-book> by
> <name-of-writer>'. Now this would have been quite easy to write if the
> construction of the sentence in my language follows the same structure as in
> English. Unfortunately, this is not the case and a literal representation of
> the '<name-of-book> by <name-of-writer>' structure would be extremely
> incorrect syntactically.
>
> We would probably follow a structure like: <name-of-book> <name-of-writer>
> <translation for 'written by'> (a simple 'by' would not be a perfect fit)

The literal translation of 'by' in Spanish may not the perfect one in
this case, but still makes sense to us. But now that I'm reading this,
the translation for 'written by' would be much better.

Anyway, we have a short preposition in our language that in this
context relates a work to an author in terms of belonging ('de'), and
that's the one we used on this string.

See you around,

Daniel Cabrera (es)