Documentation & Translation schedule review

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 18:57:36 UTC 2009

On 12/17/2009 05:32 PM, John Poelstra wrote:
> On 12/15/2009 04:24 PM, John J. McDonough wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 15:05 -0800, John Poelstra wrote:
>>> I'll try to see what I can do with this, but it doesn't address my
>>> original request below.
>>
>> Yeah, but 90% of it doesn't matter.
>>
>> It really doesn't make a lot of difference whether you arrange the
>> furniture or hang the pictures first, but you don't want to hang the
>> pictures before you paint the wall, and oh yeah, maybe you need to put
>> up the wall before you can paint it.
>>
>> In F12 there was so much clutter that we missed some key items. That's
>> why I'm focusing on getting the house built before I worry about
>> decorating it.
>>

> Okay. This is the first time I've heard this so as you can imagine it's
> kind of hitting me out of the blue. Are you wanting to start the
> schedule from scratch and thus remove the parts you consider "clutter?"
>
> Can you clarify what you expect our starting point to be at Tuesday's
> meeting so that I'm coming with the right expectations? (choose one)
> a) Blank slate
> b) Re-work draft I posted
> c) Your version
>
>> John, are these all part of a master schedule with dependencies between
>> the teams, or is each team's plan independent? If we can just get the
>> dependencies right we ought to have the dates right.
>
> Both. Most of the docs tasks depend on each other, but often when they
> start is depended on other teams or schedule milestones. We've been
> trying to get the dependencies correct for a few releases... each time
> we're (hopefully) getting a little bit closer.
>
> Thanks,
> John

I'm still not clear what our starting point for tomorrow night's meeting
is.  Since I haven't seen a response (forgive me if I missed one) I'm
assuming we will be using (#b):

http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/f-13-docs-trans-schedule-review.txt

I have already put it on gobby.  Feel free to start editing gobby now.

Note, the names of some of the releng milestones (Beta Freeze and Final
Freeze) changed to match:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Poelstra/Key_Milestones

What can really help make tomorrow's meeting tremendously faster is to
populate the drafted version on gobby in advance with what you think the
dates should be to address the concerns you raised at:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2009-December/msg00040.html
Then we we can spend most of our time critiquing the draft instead of
going line by line which will take a lot more time.

If you'd like to call out task dependencies, maybe add that as part of
the task name in ( ).

I spent some more time today trying to understand the issues you are
raising in the email and
http://jjmcd.fedorapeople.org/F13-RelNotes-MajorTasks.html but it is not
completely clear to me if these are the real dates you want to use or if
this was just a "brainstorm."

Thanks,
John