Plan for L10n for Fedora 11

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Tue Feb 17 23:49:32 UTC 2009

I'm very happy to announce that we've now landed support for translation
statistics in Transifex.

Lately we've been working heavily in re-writing Transifex and getting v0.5 in
the best shape possible for Fedora 11. Being 3 weeks ahead of the string
freeze, we have plenty of time to test statistics on Transifex 0.5-devel.

For Fedora 11, my plan is to switch the old DL for Tx 0.5-devel for
statistics, and continue to use the proven Tx 0.3 for submissions. I've
requested [1] a publictest instance from the Infrastructure Group to install
it and start putting data and testing it.

  [1]: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1191

To allow 2 weeks of testing, the instance should be ready by 23/2. When we
see that everything works out as it should, we can discontinue the old DL.

Our goal with Transifex 0.5 is to include support for both submissions and
statistics, and this way we can put aside our old version of Damned Lies which
is presenting outdated translations. Since only the commits are missing from
Tx 0.5-final, it'll be out in 3-4 weeks, and at that point we go on and test
submissions too, while having Tx 0.3 as a backup solution.

Some of the advantages of this approach is that using the statistics from Tx
0.5-devel does not even require hook-up with FAS (only submissions require
authentication), we have a smoother upgrade path for Django/v0.5 and we have a
codebase we know inside-out to build/invest on.

On our roadmap post v0.5:

- 0.5: Submissions to email,VCSs, probably bugzilla
- Comments everywhere
- Full API
- Integration with Bugzilla eg. for auto-closing of bugs
- Workflow functionality (lock a file, resolve bugs, request translation
  review and others, comments)
- Fine-grained permissions on a per collection, release, projects, component,
  language and file basis
- Support for people Teams and user groups
- Support for additional i18n formats (mozilla)

Comments, suggestions?

-δ

--
Dimitris Glezos