Release Notes Schedule

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Jul 28 23:51:37 UTC 2009

Bruno Wolff III said the following on 07/28/2009 04:27 PM Pacific Time:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 15:26:27 -0700,
>   John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Unfortunately I've found that it is extremely hard (as you may be seeing
>> already) to create a really solid schedule over email, particularly when
>> more than one team is involved and questions have been raised in
>> response to tasks or dates someone has previously suggested.
>
> It may be kind of late to consider this, but maybe it would help to use
> taskjuggler to look at the timing for the release process. If it does work,
> you'd be able to mostly reuse the projects from release to release. I think
> it would also make it easier for groups to give feedback on their pieces
> while allowing the new information to be easily used for the whole project.

I've already been doing this for several releases :-)

If you look at the source file you'll see very few hard coded dates.
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/source/f-12.tjp

The problem I've had is getting teams to do a detailed review of the
dates and cross-team dependencies.  The other difficulty is that each
release the task methodology changes as teams tweak their processes and
  attempt to learn from the previous release.  Due to the different
nature of each team's work, there is very little reuse of task structure
between the teams.

Each release we've made the schedules a little tighter a little better,
but it's feeling like Fedora 12 could be the "break out"  release for
making substantial progress!

Check out this directory if you'd like to explore more:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/source/

John