New project -- docbook-locales

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Thu Jul 30 09:34:23 UTC 2009

Ruediger Landmann wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I've just set up a new project to fill in some missing translations in
> the docbook stylesheets. These stylesheets are a set of XML templates
> used to produce documentation, and are especially important for Fedora
> docs because our documentation tool (Publican) relies on them. For
> example, the names of elements like "Chapter", "Appendix", "Example",
> and "Table" in Publican documents come from docbook.
>
> The project is located here:
> https://translate.fedoraproject.org/projects/docbook-locales/master/

Thank you so much Rudi for:
- providing contextual information in the translation files
- getting xml2po conversion done and providing translator friendly PO format
- spending time working with upstream DocBook project to convince them
accept translations from fedorahosted translations

I think this is one of the few projects I have worked with, where author
is taking proactive approach for getting things done and making
localizers' job easier and smooth. Thanks again Rudi. :)

* Now, there is one process we might want to understand. basically, the
process going to be followed from the point
*translator submits translations in PO format to fedorahosted:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=docbook-locales.git;a=tree;f=po*
*translations reach upstream in xml format:
http://docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/docbook/trunk/gentext/locale/
*
The reason behind understanding this process is, we would like to know
"how much time it could take to get your translations upstream from the
time you submit it through transifex?". That's the basic question we may
face from translators often.

* and another doubt I had, how are we going to work with upstream
(DocBook, not Fedora - downstream) translators? Actually, this question
should have come in the very beginning, somehow it just got missed. :(

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel