Fedora 12 Translation Team Schedule

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 06:01:58 UTC 2009

John Poelstra wrote:
> As an added bonus I've also created a combined view with the
> Documentation schedule (notice the overlay in different colors).  The
> intention if this version is to place the Translation tasks in the
> context of the rest of the release:
> -->
> http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-docs-and-trans-tasks.html

There are basically five different Fedora projects FLP team work on:
- Software localization
- Guides localization
- Release Notes localization
- Website localization
- Release banner localization

We got good results in the previous releases of Fedora with respect to
localization as we got aligned properly with the master Fedora schedule
and worked together with other teams. So, the schedule prepared for
Fedora 12 using the same methodology from earlier releases is currently
meeting FLP teams expectations, no doubt about that! However, during
Fedora 11, I realized (after getting feedbacks from colleagues working
on translations of Fedora projects) a need to get few more things
modified to the Translation (or master) schedule that can ease FLP
members' job to meet their goal to provide quality localization of
Fedora projects. I think FLP schedule will require (if all FLP members
agree) following modifications:

* For software localization
- We have got 42 days for translation before package rebuild starts. Is
it possible to split this translation task in two phases (Translation -
30 days and Review - 12 days)? If we split it this way and put the
package rebuild step between these two tasks, FLP members will get a
chance to test and review Fedora packages on their local machine and can
provide a better localization during the Review period. So, the concern
here is to concentrate on *review* of Fedora software applications.
- Another important thing is, we (FLP members) are most of the time
clueless whether our translations has got in or not. We get to know only
after the package rebuilds, if we find time on thorough testing. So, how
about having some automated mechanism to notify FLP team that their
translations has been included in the latest package rebuild? This could
be done if we setup some automation that can send a notification e-mail
to fedora-trans-announce list *at the end of the package rebuild period*
that abc, xyz packages has been rebuilt in the period from *start
package rebuild* to *end package rebuild*.

* For Guides localization
- We need some time for the review say 5 days at least (not sure that's
enough though) and we might want to follow same steps for guide packages
as we do in software application packages

* For Release Notes & Website localization
- as Dimtris said "beta release notes" at some places for better clarity
- and we need HTMLs built automatically and should be available from
some staging url where we can review the localization. (however, this
may not be part of the schedule)

All are welcome to provide their inputs on the above modifications, so
the concluded once can be brought to the fedora schedule meeting...

Regarding the presence of FLP representative in the meeting, I can join
in if none of the FLSCo members are able to make it.

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Ankit Patel