I'd like to be the Cornish language maintainer

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 21:39:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'd like to see if I can get a project going to translate Fedora into
Cornish. There are a number of issues unique to the Cornish language
which will need to be worked out before much progress can be made, so to
start with, I'm looking for a place to start to gather a community
interested in this project and to try and find some of the answers we'll
need.

The IANA language codes for Cornish are kw, kw-kkcor, kw-uccor and
kw-ucrcor. The last three are different spelling systems, and kw is some
presumably, unspecified, spelling system. The unique (so far as I know)
aspect of Cornish is that there seems to be little agreement over the
spelling system to use. In an attempt to try and converge on a single
system various groups met and created the Standard Written Form (SWF)
which as yet has no IANA code (to my knowledge), so chasing that up will
be one of the first tasks.

The only existing Cornish translation/localisation of any form which I
can find anywhere in Fedora is in glibc. Its in kw-uccor so far as I can
tell from the spelling of the months in that file.

Now since the spelling system is rather a contentious issue, my plan was
to simply insist that translations should specify which system they are
going to use and stick to it for that complete package. So we might well
land up with multiple translations of the same package, depending on how
many people decide to contribute.

I'm well aware that my limited knowledge of Cornish will make
translation slow and difficult, however I hope that my free software
experience will help point any less technical volunteers in the right
direction. Also, I'm hoping to use the project as a way of increasing my
knowledge of Cornish.

I know a number of people who've been working on Welsh translations, so
I also hope to pick their brains for inspiration from time to time :-)

Steve.