Self introduction: Sveinn í Felli

Noriko Mizumoto noriko at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 03:15:33 UTC 2009

Sveinn í Felli (IMAP) さんは書きました:
> Full legal name: Sveinn Helgi Sverrisson
> Alias (surname): Sveinn í Felli
>   * City, Country: Akureyri, Iceland
>   * FAS username: sveinki
>   * Language to translate: Icelandic
>   * Interests: GUI, usability, mobility, graphics (2D/3D)
>   * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sveinki
>   * Level of computer skills: Ex-sysadmin in a small company
> (Win2k+RH8), a GUI-guy with CLI-disabilities,
> (vector/raster) graphics is my karma ;-)
>
> I joined some time ago, but forgot to send in an
> introduction. I already have been sponsored for necessary
> groups.
Thank you for your introduction!

> So far I've only concentrated on translating basic Fedora
> files through Transifex, I have contributed and coordinated
> translation efforts in various projects, mostly KDE but also
> LP/Ubuntu, Gnome and Translationproject.
> Much of my work has been around proofreading and making
> translations a bit more homogeneous/unified, using the same
> vocabulary sets in Gnome and KDE. For that kind of work it's
Wow, awesome.

> quite evident that web interfaces like Launchpad are totally
> inadequate; SVN access permits to search for certain terms
> through a bunch of .po files at once. I use mostly Kbabel
> and its translation memory.
> After 8 years on various linuxes using open source software
> and trying to get other people to use such software, I
> sometimes give lectures on OSS and occasionally give
> companies/institutions advice on how to manage transition
> towards open software (biased towards the user experience).
> I can't say the demand has been overflowing in the past, but
> these days it seems more people are starting to think about
> such matters.
Indeed, localization must be one of the key aspect to motivate transition.
It is easy to imagine that if no option available for an user's choice
of language then the user likely drop the interest, or that if
translation quality and/or consistency are poor then user can be confused.

Btw, no one on the list of 'L10N/GroupSponsors' [1] from Icelandic team.
Would you and/or your team coordinator like to be upgraded and sponsor
new comer for your team?

[1]:http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/GroupSponsors

noriko