A question about translation out of the freezing time frame.

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Sun Nov 29 22:26:33 UTC 2009

On 11/28/2009 11:34 PM, Rui Gouveia wrote:
> The guides are big. Usually, during the string freeze windows, we
> concentrate our efforts mainly in the GUI interface and applications,
> and these are left for last and never finished. Now that things are
> slower, if we want to contribute work for these modules, whats the
> proper way to do it?

Rui, the F12 guides remain stable and open for translation while writers
continue to work in the "master" branch of each document.

You can therefore continue your work on the F12 versions of the docs if
you want to. Some of us are watching the translation statistics so that
we can publish new translations as they reach completion; however, if
you complete a translation and it doesn't show up on
docs.fedoraproject.org within a few days, please post a note to
fedora-docs-list and remind us :) [1]

At some point after the Alpha version of F13 becomes available, the
updated "master" branch of each document is combined with the latest
updated PO files from the "F12" branch to create the new "F13" branch.
This is then made available in transifex and submissions to the "F12"
branch are disabled.

The docs team tries to minimise changes to strings between releases as
much as possible, so that the maximum number of strings in the old PO
file will still apply to the new PO file.

Thanks for your interest, and please let me know if there's any way I
can help you out further.

Cheers

Ruediger

[1] Yes, I know that I'm running late with the amazing effort of the
Indic teams contributing to the Installation Quick Start Guide. There
are so many new translations and they arrived so quickly one after the
other! Thank you all for your efforts; I will bring
docs.fedoraproject.org up to date this week with all your hard work.