[fedora-virt] clarifying the fedoraproject wiki "qemu/kvm" features page

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 17:23:40 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 01:16:18PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >  i'd like to clarify a couple things here, if i might:
> >
> >https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
> >
> >  first, given that that page refers to being 100% done WRT f11,
> >should it represent *exactly* what i see on my current f11 beta
> >system?  as in, no outstanding issues?
> >
> >  next, under "Detailed Description", point 5:
> >
> >  "The kvm package is obsoleted by qemu-kvm."
> >
> >can i assume that "qemu-kvm" is a typo as there appears to be no such
> >package?  what *should* that say?  perhaps "qemu-kvm-tools?"
> >
> >  i have a few more questions about the merging of qemu and kvm but
> >i'm going to have to think about those for a few more minutes.
> >

> Could it have been made more obscure?  So now we have to install three
> qemu packages and three bios packages instead of qemu and kvm?

That's just a package management tooling problem.

If you use yum, or PackageKit, life is improved because you only have
to install *1*  package  per architecture you want:

   yum install qemu-system-x86

which pulls in all the other bits via dependancies. No one is seriously
expecting people to go around doing 'rpm -ivh ' on individual RPMs anymore
as its just a complete waste of time

Daniel