[fedora-virt] qemu+kvm obsoletes kqemu?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Apr 8 10:37:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, 8 Apr 2009, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:28:21AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   (just another in a long list of trivial questions)
> >
> >   since there is no available kqemu package for f11, i'm assuming
> > that bundling qemu and kvm makes a separate kqemu package
> > redundant, is that correct?
>
> There has never been a 'kqemu' package for Fedora. The kernel module
> is not in the standard upstream kernels, and is unmaintained by the
> QEMU developers with no sign of anyone caring enough to work on it
>
> That said our 'qemu-system-x86_64' / 'qemu' binaries should have
> kqemu support turned on should you happen to want to build the
> kernel modules yourself. It is effectively dead technology, and
> crashy & unreliable so I can't really recommend anyone try it.

  actually, that's all i needed to know.  as i mentioned earlier, i'm
just trying to document a lot of this for my own benefit and for a
potential virt seminar i want to give later this year, so if anyone
who's familiar with that module from an earlier distro asks about it,
i can just say, ignore it under f11.  thanks.

rday

p.s.  there *have* been unofficial packages for fedora:

  http://atrpms.net/dist/f10/kqemu/

but it's easier to just say don't go there.

http://crashcourse.ca
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday