[fedora-virt] qemu+kvm obsoletes kqemu?

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Wed Apr 8 10:49:05 UTC 2009

Anand Kumria wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
>> That said our 'qemu-system-x86_64' / 'qemu' binaries should have
>> kqemu support turned on should you happen to want to build the
>> kernel modules yourself. It is effectively dead technology, and
>> crashy & unreliable so I can't really recommend anyone try it.
>>

> And the KVM module replaces it, anyway, AIUI.
>
> Correct?

Not exactly, no.  Functionally, they do the same thing; that is, they
"accelerate" QEMU.  However, kqemu works on machines without virtualization
extensions (VMX or SVM), while those technologies are required for KVM to work.
 That being said, going forward, there are less and less machines that don't
have those extensions, and of course KVM has an active and healthy development
community, while kqemu has essentially none.

--
Chris Lalancette