[fedora-virt] qemu user emulation test package, and is GUEST_BASE broken?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 17:07:32 UTC 2009

Hi Robert,

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:50 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> moving on, i'm continuing to document QEMU on f11 here:
>
>   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU_on_Fedora_11
>
> and i have (unsurprisingly) a couple of questions.

Interestingly, a lot of what you're documenting here is quite the
opposite to what we want "Fedora virtualization experience" to be e.g.:

  - Users shouldn't necessarily need to know what QEMU is - using
    virt-manager and virsh more or less makes what hypervisor is
    underneath not terribly important

  - We'd recommend people do "yum install Virtualization" rather than
    manually installing individual RPMs

  - We don't see "user emulation mode" as being very important - I'd
    really be very surprised if many people use it

  - We think virt-manager is a much more useful tool for most people
    than qemu-launcher

Cheers,
Mark.