[fedora-virt] i8042.c: No controller found

Jerry James loganjerry at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 19:47:27 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'm doing some kernel development, using a virtual machine to manage
the frequent reboots.  The host is an 8-core x86_64 Fedora 10 machine
with 8GB of RAM.  The guest is a 2-core x86_64 CentOS 5.3 machine with
1GB of RAM.  I'm starting the virtual machine as follows:

qemu-kvm -m 1G -smp 2 -k en-us -std-vga -name CentOS5.3 -hda
/var/lib/libvirt/images/CentOS5.3.img "$@"

Approximately every other reboot, when the CentOS kernel is just
starting up, I see this message on the console:

  i8042.c: No controller found

and then, when the machine is fully booted, I cannot use the mouse or
keyboard in the guest machine, leaving me with only one option: reboot
and hope it doesn't happen the next time.  Usually one more reboot
fixes it, but not always.  Does anyone know what is causing this?

Just in case the "-k en-us" has something to do with it, I added that
because otherwise the arrow keys don't work correctly.  Up arrow gets
mapped to PrtScn, for example.

As an aside, I used to use virt-manager, but couldn't figure out how
to get virt-manager to turn on -std-vga.  If someone can solve that
problem for me, I'll go back to virt-manager.

Thanks,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/