[fedora-virt] qemu user emulation test package, and is GUEST_BASE broken?

Glauber Costa glommer at redhat.com
Mon Apr 13 16:46:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 01:25:52PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
> >   - We'd recommend people do "yum install Virtualization" rather than
> >     manually installing individual RPMs
>
>   a reasonable suggestion, but the current definition of that group
> looks a bit strange on f11 beta:
>
> $ yum groupinfo Virtualization
> Loaded plugins: downloadonly, refresh-packagekit
> Setting up Group Process
>
> Group: Virtualization
>  Mandatory Packages:
>    python-virtinst
>  Default Packages:
>    qemu-system-ppc
>    qemu-system-x86
>    virt-manager
>    virt-viewer
>  Optional Packages:
>    gnome-applet-vm
>    virt-top
>
>   is there some reason that qemu-system-ppc is considered a "Default"
> package?  after all, there's a *pile* of qemu-system-<arch> files --
> arm, cris, mips, etc.  what's so special about ppc?  just curious.
There's kvm support on ppc ;-)

so of course, if you are installing it on a x86 box, it does not matter,
but I just didn't want to fill the comps file with ifarchs definitions.
(I don't even know if that is possible). Later on, I thought that just using
"kvm" and making qemu-system-x86 and qemu-system-ppc provide it conditionally,
would be a better alternative. But since the package is not that big, I left
it that way. Can change it upon request.