[fedora-virt] how can i verify that HW extensions are being used?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 18:09:04 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-16 at 14:00 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/FAQ#How_can_I_check_that_I.27m_not_falling_back_to_qemu_with_no_hardware_acceleration.3F
>
> In that case, you can check that:
>
>     * the modules are correctly loaded lsmod|grep kvm
>     * you don't have a "KVM: disabled by BIOS" line in the output of dmesg
>     * /dev/kvm exists and you have the correct rights to use it
>
> that last point seems fairly adamant that your account *needs* access
> to /dev/kvm so, if that's true, i *shouldn't* have had HW support
> until i did all of the above.  i don't see how you could shortcut any
> of the above.

That information is only relevant if you're installing kvm yourself and
running e.g. qemu-kvm. As I said, on Fedora we want it to "just work".

virt-manager connects to the system libvirtd and it is that which spawns
qemu-kvm, so it is spawned it as root currently. So, you don't need to
modify the permissions on /dev/kvm.

Hmm - did you choose the "run virt-manager as unauthenticated" option?

Cheers,
Mark.