[fedora-virt] how can i verify that HW extensions are being used?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 16 22:18:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Mike Hinz wrote:

> It also acts differently than a normal Fedora 11 beta install on
> physical HW in that it asks you for some network adapter info and it
> appears to me, to install entirely from the network as the lights on
> lab switch goes nuts as does the network activity light on my server
> AND I see essentially zero activity on the DVD drive on the server.

  i did a fresh guest install that should have pulled everything off
of the DVD, and you can see that from these snippets in the log file
for that VM:

[Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:54:44 virt-manager 19292] DEBUG (create:721)
Guest type set to os_type=hvm, arch=x86_64, dom_type=kvm
[Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:54:59 virt-manager 19292] DEBUG
(DistroInstaller:112) DistroInstaller location is a local file/path:
/dev/sr0
[Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:55:13 virt-manager 19292] DEBUG
(DistroInstaller:112) DistroInstaller location is a local file/path:
/dev/sr0
[Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:55:18 virt-manager 19292] DEBUG (create:1438)
Creating a VM f11
  Type: kvm,hvm
  UUID: 36f91ace-120c-7a5a-f40d-5b332fa10b76
  Install Source: /dev/sr0
  OS: linux:fedora11
  Kernel args: None
  Memory: 2048
  Max Memory: 2048
  # VCPUs: 2
  Filesize: 20.0

  all of that certainly suggests to me that the install should be
coming from /dev/sr0, no?  and the DVD sounds like it's being used
right up to the point where the installation starts checking for
package dependencies, which is when the network kicks into high gear
and the install starts chatting with a fedora mirror.  and that's when
i shut it down.

  does that help at all?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday