[fedora-virt] customizing VMM on a per-user basis to use libguestfs?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 16:25:13 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 12:00:13PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I'm not sure that home directory is where people would want images, I
> suspect that an arbitrary location would be far more flexible. Using KVM
> without a VMM, I can put images in someplace obvious, like
> $HOME/virtual/Images (with install ISO images in ~/virtual/ISO) so my
> virtual machines are not co-mingled with other things. My system stuff
> is in /mnt/virtual/Images and people use it by using qemu-img to make a
> local qcow2 images for their personal machines (including test config,
> obviously).
>
> Questions:
> - did I make clear why some flexibility is desirable?
> - is there any technical reason not to make this an arbitrary path?

You should note that this is primarily an SELinux labelling issue.

You can use virt-install to put the images wherever you like, but you
have to label that directory and/or the images with the correct label.

On F-10 something like this should work:

chcon system_u:object_r:virt_image_t:s0 /some/dir
virt-install --disk=path=/some/dir/image,size=10 [other virt-install opts...]

'Course you have to do both of those commands as root.

virt-manager also lets you specify the path when you create
file-backed guests.

Rich.