[fedora-virt] f11 virt release notes freezing

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 11:55:34 UTC 2009

Hi Dale,

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 23:48 -0700, Dale Bewley wrote:
> I've been busy at my day job and not paying close enough attention to
> Fedora 11 docs deadlines. Apparently the window for changes essentially
> closes Wednesday (today).[1]
>
> The notes are essentially in place. I don't think there are any gaping
> holes, but I should have prompted for feedback much sooner. If you could
> apply any love to the release notes[2] it would be appreciated.

Yep, I think they look in good shape.

> = QEMU / KVM =
> It is noted that QEMU and KVM are merging as a package, but I've also
> separately listed the fact that QEMU is now 0.10.0 and KVM is now 84.
>
> With the merge, might it be confusing or inaccurate to mention a
> distinct new version of KVM? I'll admit to being somewhat fuzzy on
> where/how that line is drawn.
>
> I see[3] QEMU 0.10.0 in rawhide, but not 0.10.1, so I adjusted the
> version in the relnotes. I copied the feature list from the 0.10.0
> release announcement. If you'd care to suggest deletes or enhancements
> of the list please do.

Yes, this is a very confusing - not least because it's going to change
before the release.

What we plan on shipping is a version of kvm-userspace which is based
off the qemu-0.10.x branch.

So - F11 will have qemu-0.10.1 at the very least.

> The KVM changelog since 74 (version at initial F10 release) is quite
> long and not easily digestible by me at this late hour. Would anyone
> care to offer some highlights or fill them into the wiki? Or, again,
> should those be folded into QEMU?

Pointing at the kvm ChangeLog is probably the best you can do, really.

There's added confusion there too - the kvm release changelog covers
both userspace and kernel space, and we don't ship a specific kernel kvm
version ... we ship whatever is in Linus releases.

> = Libvirt =
> I previously copied the list of changes from the releases, but did not
> try to prune them down. It may be fine.

Pruning it down a little might be good - e.g. "gnulib updates" doesn't
tell people anything useful. Not a big deal, though.

Cheers,
Mark.