[fedora-virt] is there a more newbie-level mailing list for fedora virt?

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Mon Apr 6 17:10:38 UTC 2009

(More or less repeating what I said offlist)

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 10:58 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i ask since i'm probably doing a virtualization seminar at a local
> linux fest later this year, and i'd like to gear it towards beginners.
> i realize that there is abundant online documentation on this topic,
> but it's just not geared for people who are starting out.
>
>   for example, if one reads the online 'Getting started with
> virtualization" here:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization
>
> the second paragraph reads as follows:
>
> "Xen supports para-virtualized guests as well as fully virtualized
> guests with para-virtualized drivers. Para-virtualization is faster
> than full virtualization but does not work with non-Linux operating
> systems or Linux operating system without the Xen kernel extensions.
> Xen fully virtualized are slower than KVM fully virtualized guests."

Absolutely, I think the current page is a really poor intro - I'd love
to see it turn into a nice and gentle page e.g. walking people through
virt-manager and what some of the terminology means.

>   i'm sorry, but that's not for beginners.  it just isn't.  so is
> there a forum where i can chat with folks about putting together
> something really and truly designed for an audience who might be
> linux-savvy but need to be walked into virtualization slowly and
> gently?

#virt on irc.oftc.net would be a good place.

Honestly, though, best thing is to just get started writing and post
drafts here for people to pick apart :-)

(You don't need to ask for permission to edit the wiki pages either -
any bit of help getting in shape is hugely appreciated)

Cheers,
Mark.