[fedora-virt] qemu user emulation test package, and is GUEST_BASE broken?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 9 17:17:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 08:50 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > moving on, i'm continuing to document QEMU on f11 here:
> >
> >   http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/QEMU_on_Fedora_11
> >
> > and i have (unsurprisingly) a couple of questions.
>
> Interestingly, a lot of what you're documenting here is quite the
> opposite to what we want "Fedora virtualization experience" to be e.g.:
>
>   - Users shouldn't necessarily need to know what QEMU is - using
>     virt-manager and virsh more or less makes what hypervisor is
>     underneath not terribly important
>
>   - We'd recommend people do "yum install Virtualization" rather than
>     manually installing individual RPMs
>
>   - We don't see "user emulation mode" as being very important - I'd
>     really be very surprised if many people use it
>
>   - We think virt-manager is a much more useful tool for most people
>     than qemu-launcher

  i actually think you're right, i'm using my wiki as a scratchpad and
will almost certainly rethink things and toss stuff as i realize i'm
going in the wrong direction.

  on the other hand, while it's nice to have a graphical front-end for
things like this to hide the underlying complexity, there have been a
number of times where i've wanted to see what was going on "under the
hood," as it were.  particularly when i'm debugging.

  i may very well end up deciding that this wasn't the right way to
approach this and toss the whole thing.  i just like to have at least
a minimal understanding of how things work behind the scenes.  but
your point is well taken.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday