[fedora-virt] how can i verify that HW extensions are being used?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 16 11:48:52 UTC 2009

  apparently, i made one lame-brained move yesterday that almost
certainly caused my VM to run thigh-suckingly slowly.  following the
linux KVM FAQ, i wanted to configure KVM so i could run it as a
non-root user.  to that end, i

  * created a "kvm" group,
  * added my user account to the kvm group, and
  * added the rules file /etc/udev/rules.d/60-kvm.rules:

    KERNEL=="kvm", GROUP="kvm"

  i re-initialized udev with:

  # udevadm control --reload-rules   (right?)

unloaded my kvm modules (kvm and kvm_amd), reloaded them and, sure
enough, my new /dev/kvm device file had a group affiliation of kvm.
excellent, i thought, and away i went ... with still painfully slow
performance, until i realized that i was still in my original desktop
session which *wasn't* considered part of the kvm group.  so a quick
logout, log back in and things were much better.

  *that's* the sort of thing i'm trying to document as i write all of
this up -- those slight oversights which no one bothers to mention
that eventually bite you in the butt.  in any event, back to my
original question -- what could i have checked that would have told
me, no, you are *not* taking advantage of the AMD-V HW virt
extensions?  after all, my modules were loaded, /dev/kvm existed, it
clearly had the right group, but (and correct me if i'm wrong) i was
obviously not getting the benefit of HVM because my desktop session
wasn't considered part of the "kvm" group.

  thoughts?

rday
--

p.s.  my plan is, starting from scratch, to document every step in
installing f11 x86_64 under f11 x86_64, and end up with a recipe that

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday