[fedora-virt] guestfish, libguestfs, ext4 and bad perms on /dev/kvm

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Thu Apr 23 06:37:54 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 07:29:33AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 08:22:13AM +0200, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:
> You've actually got an i386 machine which supports KVM?  They are very
> rare.  In fact I have one too, but they were only produced for a few
> months (a tiny number of Intel Core 1 microprocessors).

Agree. My current hardware is x86_64 capable, but my notebook isn't and
notebook has hardware virtualization support.

> Upstream KVM has stopped supporting i386 and now only supports x86-64,
> which is why I didn't bother detecting KVM on anything which isn't
> x86-64.

Hmm.

> Or are you running an i386 kernel on an x86-64 machine?  Not sure
> whether or not KVM can work in this case.

Yes, I need to upgrade to x86_64 (or reinstall) but no time now.
And I think with Fedora 11 it will update my kernel to 64-bit, what is
enough for my workstation. There are still lots of programs, which are not
64-bit and I don't need both i386 and x86_64 libraries on my system.
I know about limitations, but it's working well this way for me.

> > /autogen.sh --with-java-home=no --with-qemu=/usr/bin/qemu-kvm
> [...]
> > But --with-qemu=qemu-kvm works.
>
> This seems to be a problem with the AC_PATH_PROG macro.  Just use the
> latter and it should be OK.

This was with current git version.

> You can also do things like:
>
>   ./configure --with-qemu="qemu-kvm qemu"
>
> which will try looking for qemu-kvm first, and qemu second.

OK, this works too.

May be autodetection for java and kvm as default can be good for testers.
Now I still have to add these options:
  ./configure --with-qemu="qemu-kvm qemu" --with-java-home=no

		SAL