[fedora-virt] slightly OT: Comparing apples with apples?

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:15:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,
sorry for the slightly off topic post, but I'm looking for some
definitive answers here.
A couple days ago, I performed a "boot race" with Fedora 11 and Ubuntu
9.04, thinking it would be the easiest way to visualize which is
faster to boot in a default installation.
So basically, I created two identical VMs with virt manager and
installed both from the liveCD, then fully updated them.
The recorded boot sequence was repeated multiple times to see if
results were consistent.

Now, of course I hit a nerve there, because I had many complaints,
ranging from the video being a fake, to personal attacks, to more or
less weird attempts to explain why Fedora booted faster.

The most common complain was that competing for the host's resources
was not fair, something along the line: Fedora starts first becasue
has no grub, grabs some critical resource and Ubuntu has to wait for
it before continuing.

So basically the question is: do you think there could be any reason
why such a test can be unfair to one of the VMs?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gianlucasforna