[fedora-virt] P2V and grub bootloader

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 21:39:37 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:28:51PM +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm currently experimenting with converting a physical system to a
> virtual one. Using losetup, kpartx, etc. i was able to transfer the
> system to a volume group in an image file.

Why not just copy across the whole block device?  This is essentially
what virt-p2v does (http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v/), although
virt-p2v is doing nothing more than automating what you could do by
hand.

Anyway, if you copy the whole block device (eg /dev/sda) then
presumably grub will be copied across along with it.

[...]
> How can I install grub from outside the VM?

I haven't tried it, but it's possibly something you can do from
libguestfs, or if not, it's something that we could add to libguestfs.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/