[fedora-virt] libvirt segfault w/ virt-viewer

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 12:41:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 01:34:38PM +0100, Sven Lankes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> both client and server are up to date F12 installs (64bit). virt-manager
> over ssh works fine, bute invoking virt-viewer:
>
> virt-viewer -c qemu+ssh://root@frooknuckle.host.name dns
>
> leads to:
>
> Dec  8 13:26:04 frooknuckle kernel: libvirtd[2866]: segfault at 0 ip 0000003a8bb1bdb6 sp 00007f24a4b45aa8 error 4 in libc-2.11.so[3a8ba00000+16f000]
>
> on the server side.
>
> Before I log a bug - can anyone reproduce the issue? How can I switch
> libvirt to be more verbose to get some context to add to a bugreport?

One way is to enable more logging, in /etc/libvirt/libvirt.conf.

Another way is to set LIBVIRTD_ARGS="--verbose" in
/etc/sysconfig/libvirtd (although that just causes libvirtd to print
more messages to stderr, I'm not sure where those messages will end up
if you use the /etc/init.d/libvirtd [start|stop] command).

However in this case I think what you need is a stack trace.  Do:

# debuginfo-install libvirt

and then:

# /etc/init.d/libvirtd stop
# gdb --args /usr/sbin/libvirtd
(gdb) run

and then when you hit the segfault, get a backtrace using the 'bt'
command.

Maybe also ABRT can do this automatically .. anyone?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/